Sunday, June 8, 2008

LUPIN THE III: A Gift to Me, From Zack Worton


A fantastic drawing given to me by my boy, Toronto artist Zack Worton for being an ANIME NORTH He-Man.

A day or two after AN, Zack Facebooked me, asking who my favorite anime/manga character was, and if I could send him some reference.

I thought about it for a bit, and considered some different characters... Spike from Bebop, Casshan, Hurricane Polymar, Kamina from Gurren Lagann, Alita from BATTLE ANGEL ALITA, etc, but when it comes down to it, there's one character that I always come back to in any type of media, and in any era of my fandom, and that's LUPIN THE THIRD. I love Lupin... he's James Bond, the original Arsene de Lupin, and Cheech and Chong, all roled up into one guy... a charismatic, cunning, lecherous bastard always on the hunt for adventure, treasure, and pussy.

Zack's style fits Lupin surprisingly well... which is another reason I think I like Lupin so much. He's very adaptable to a variety of styles and genre's, be it more child oriented stories, more adult, comedy, mystery, action, etc.

The actual drawing was to big for me to scan properly, even in sections, which is why the middle of this is a little blurred, so I decided to throw down some quick coloring to try and hide my shitty scan job.

Thanks a lot Zack! I'm looking forward to both your upcoming projects.

You can find Zack online at his blog, which has some of his art (dude goes a very good Herge... I love Zack's Tintin stuff), BALLAD OF A CROSSHATCH JUNKIE. The irony being that he doesn't use much cross hatching. :B

*EDIT*

Actually, looking at it again, the blurring actually sort of looks like soft focus and gives it some depth... I don't mind it.

No comments: