Thursday, June 19, 2008

ALAN MOORE: Monsters, Maniacs, and Moore



Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I was actually looking for a BBC documentary on Steve Ditko called IN SEARCH OF STEVE DITKO, which I had started watching last night at Blake Bell's launch for his book STRANGE AND STRANGER: THE WORLD OF STEVE DITKO (it was a good launch... fascinating stuff), and found this old BBC special about Alan Moore, which is this weird sort of self-introspective one man show he puts on where Alan Moore is grilled about this lifestyle, philosophy, and choice of medium by a very cynical and mean spirited... Alan Moore.

It's pretty fascinating stuff to watch, and puts a lot of things about not only Alan Moore, but comics into perspective for me. I feel really small minded and unimaginative. I've never doubted the importance of comics as a medium, but I never really thought of it as being something that could change the world over time.

Either way, you get to see that Alan Moore isn't the dower, intellectual, slightly scary, psuedo-wolfman, that he appears to be... he's a pretty wacky guy. At least... he's not an anti-social extremist like Steve Ditko.

No comments: